- Analyzing the context, political, social
and cultural conditions and behaviors which contributed to
the situation of violence, both from the State and from society.
- Contributing with the administration
of justice, when it corresponds, so that it can clarify
the crimes and violations to human rights committed both
by terrorist organizations and State agents.
- Trying to determine the whereabouts,
identification and situation of victims and, as possible,
to determine the corresponding responsibilities. The Commission
does not substitute for the Judiciary or the Prosecutor’s
Office, because it does not have jurisdictional functions.
- Making moral and material redress proposals
for victims or their relatives.
- Recommending the reforms it deems convenient
as a preventive measure so that no similar experiences
are repeated. Recommending also any measures necessary
to guarantee compliance with their recommendations.